Explosions hit two metro stations and a courthouse in Cairo on Wednesday, injuring at least four people, state media reported.
The first explosion in the metro was caused by an improvised bomb at Shubra station, Al-Ahram reported, citing Interior Ministry spokesman Abdel-Fattah Othman. The second blast came from a “sonic explosive” in a trash can at Ghamra station, it said.
Authorities quickly accused the Muslim Brotherhood of orchestrating the attacks, describing them as “desperate attempts” to disrupt the “prevailing state of stability.” The group, to which the ousted President Mohammed Morsi belonged, has denied involvement in any violence. But even some Islamists warn that young Brotherhood supporters could turn to attacks under pressure of a fierce crackdown on the group for nearly a year.
Security officials said the attacks were carried out on Ghamra metro station in central Cairo, as well as on Hadayek al-Kobba in the city’s north. Shubra El-Kheyma and Ezbet al-Nakhl located in the outskirts of Cairo were also struck.
Much of the violence is focused in the north of the mainly desert Sinai Peninsula, but militants have extended their reach to Cairo and the Nile Delta, carrying out a series of high-profile assaults in the heart of the capital.
The government says the militants have killed about 500 people, most of them security personnel, in the attacks.
- World Cup host Brazil terminated by Germany with incredible 7-1 victory - July 9, 2014
- General Motors to pay billions to victims of faulty ignition switches - June 30, 2014
- 4 bombs explode in Cairo metro stations - June 25, 2014
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez allegedly bites Italian player Giorgio Chiellini in FIFA World Cup 2014 - June 25, 2014
- Microsoft unveils its first Android Nokia phone - June 24, 2014
- Did Prince William got $13.6 Million Helicopter as Birthday gift from Queen? - June 23, 2014
- New Russian military buildup near Ukraine border - June 19, 2014
- 2010 World champion Spain is out of the FIFA world cup 2014 - June 19, 2014
- Why Amazon.com has launched it’s own smartphone? - June 18, 2014
- Microsoft has launched Internet Explorer Developer Channel - June 17, 2014